communion.jpg

  KNOLLWOOD'S HISTORY

 

This is the first worship service held in the original Knollwood Building. 

Knollwood Baptist Church was constituted on February 10, 1957 with over 80 charter members.

The new congregation met first at the Wall Glade Hill Funeral Chapel until the first building was completed in mid-July, 1957. The first pastor, Dr. Jack R. Noffsinger was called on September 8, 1957. 

Sunday School classes in the early days of the church were held in 11 homes of members in the vicinity of the church as well as in the new building. The present educational building was dedicated on September 25, 1960. The new building included a fellowship hall which also served as the sanctuary for the growing congregation. The present sanctuary building was dedicated on September 28, 1969. 

Dr. Noffsinger retired in 1988 after 30 years of service. On March 1, 1992 the original church building, with the addition of classrooms and youth activity space, was named the Noffsinger Building in honor of Dr. Jack and Louise Noffsinger as a tribute to their many years of ministry with Knollwood.

Dr. Thomas Austin was called as senior minister in February 1988 and served until his death in June 1997. Dr. Chris Chapman served as senior minister from June 1998 to June 2009.

In November 2012, Knollwood called Dr. Bob Setzer, Jr. as its Senior Pastor. Dr. Setzer, Jr. was installed March 25, 2012. If you have not already done so, please take a minute to listen to his sermons online. www.knollwood.org.

Over the years, Knollwood has initiated many ministries to serve the people of Winston-Salem and the global community. Support groups meet regularly at Knollwood. Knollwood Baptist Church is affiliated with the Pilot Mountain Baptist Association, the North Carolina Baptist Convention, the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, the Alliance of Baptists, and the North Carolina Council of Churches.

 

 
  /files/Images for pages/DrJackMemdate.jpg